Recover from Drug and Alcohol Addiction
Psychotherapy in Costa Mesa, CA
Helping People Recover from Mental Illness
Psychotherapy is the go-to treatment for nearly all mental illnesses. Psychotherapy, sometimes referred to as talk therapy, is a natural approach to helping people to get better control over emotions and symptoms related to mental health concerns.
This approach can be applied to problems, both past and present, that may be troubling a person. It allows people to deeply address underlying issues that can either cause or exacerbate mental illness.
Psychotherapy is a suitable approach for many things including but not limited to depression, anxiety, self-esteem, bipolar disorder, trauma, grief, addiction, among many of things. It can be effective as both a standalone approach and in conjunction with medications.
What is Psychotherapy?
Psychotherapy is carried about by a licensed psychiatrist or therapist. Working with their patient, they apply evidence-based procedures to help people develop better habits to improve their lives.
These procedures might include cognitive-behavioral, interpersonal, or other kinds of talk therapy to work through problems. This is done in collaboration with the patient, which is why it is important for the patient to be open and committed. It is also important that the treating psychologist is supportive, understanding, neutral, objective, and nonjudgmental.
Treatment sessions typically last 45 minutes to 90 minutes and might follow a structure or more loosely open conversation, depending on the approach the psychiatrist or therapist finds useful.
Sessions may also be done individually, in pairs, or in groups.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy — which is the gold standard of psychotherapy that helps a person understand and change their thought processes and behaviors that reflect how they feel and act.
- Interpersonal therapy — which can help people who struggle with maintaining healthy relationships. This form of therapy focuses on teaching healthy ways to communicate and express feelings to others.
- Psychodynamic therapy — addresses past experiences that might still be influencing a person’s emotions and thoughts. A patient may even be unaware of how these past events are influencing their thoughts and behaviors.
- Dialectical behavior therapy — teaches both new skills and helps people take responsibility to change their unhealthy and problematic behavior. It also has an emphasis on controlling emotions and how you communicate with others.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy — which can help one become aware of and accept thoughts and feelings. With this acceptance, one can then commit to making changes and adjust in given circumstances.
When to Consider Psychotherapy
Anyone might want to consider psychotherapy if they are struggling with negative emotions, unhealthy habits, or problematic behaviors.
The above-listed types of psychotherapy are just a few of the many different approaches a psychotherapist might take. If you are struggling with any of the above-listed problems, a professional can evaluate, diagnose, and help treat your mental condition.
Psychotherapy can help improve many aspects of one’s life. With the right therapist, one may find many benefits in controlling symptoms of their condition.
Psychotherapy can help improve communication skills, thinking patterns, understanding of oneself, ability to make good decisions, coping skills, family relationships, and much more.
Get Therapy in Costa Mesa, CA
Psychotherapy can help people overcome many obstacles in life. With the right help, a psychotherapist can help one understand what they may be lacking in life and how to improve.
Don’t let stress get you down. Find help.
If you are looking for quality psychotherapy in Costa Mesa, Safe & Sound Treatment is here to help you.
Call the number below to get started on a program that is right for you.